Just who was telling the truth?Â We’ve referenced at least 14 issues between the candidates and back it up with facts.Â After the Palin / Biden debate last night, we decided to organize a fact checking session to identify what the real facts are – What each party represents and an analysis of each of the 14 blatant facts that were completely wrong are brought into the light.
1. TAX VOTE: Biden said McCain voted â€œthe exact same wayâ€ as Obama to increase taxes on Americans earning just $42,000, but McCain DID NOT VOTE THAT WAY. [Link to the votes HERE ]
2. AHMEDINIJAD MEETING: Joe Biden lied when he said that Barack Obama never said that he would sit down unconditionally with Mahmoud Ahmedinijad of Iran. Barack Obama did say specifically, and Joe Biden attacked him for it. [True and we posted the video]
3. OFFSHORE OIL DRILLING: Biden said, â€œDrill we must.â€ But Biden has opposed offshore drilling and even compared offshore drilling to â€œrapingâ€ the Outer Continental Shelf.â€ [True – was well reported and Democrats votes against drilling and other energy production are well documented – Biden rips Bush on energy by JEFF MONTGOMERY â€¢ The News Journal â€¢ July 15, 2008]
4. TROOP FUNDING: Joe Biden lied when he indicated that John McCain and Barack Obama voted the same way against funding the troops in the field. John McCain opposed a bill that included a timeline, that the President of the United States had already said he would veto regardless of itâ€™s passage. [Link to the votes HERE .]
5. OPPOSING CLEAN COAL: Biden says heâ€™s always been for clean coal, but he just told a voter that he is against clean coal and any new coal plants in America and has a record of voting against clean coal and coal in the U.S. Senate. [True and we posted the video and wrote an article about it]
6. ALTERNATIVE ENERGY VOTES: According to FactCheck.org, Biden is exaggerating and overstating John McCainâ€™s record voting for alternative energy when he says he voted against it 23 times. [Procedural votes can get pretty convoluted so this one is hard to say either way but here is the link to McCain’s energy plan and we suggest that people just read it for themselves and make a decision]
7. HEALTH INSURANCE: Biden falsely said McCain will raise taxes on peopleâ€™s health insurance coverage â€” they get a tax credit to offset any tax hike. Independent fact checkers have confirmed this attack is false.
[McCain is right about this one, the New York Times started this nonsense saying that if people use the McCain tax credit plan to get health insurance over their employers insurance plan, the employers may just decide to give the money they would have spent on insurance to the employee. If the employee gets a raise as a result he will pay more in taxes. DUH… if you get a raise you should expect to pay taxes on the raise.. but that doesn’t mean that your health insurance benefits are taxed…. HERE is the link to McCain’s health plan.]
8. OIL TAXES: Biden falsely said Palin supported a windfall profits tax in Alaska â€” she reformed the state tax and revenue system, itâ€™s not a windfall profits tax.
[McCain is right about this one as well. The tax plan on energy companies in Alaska is NOT a windfall profits tax, it is aÂ graduated energy tax based on the price of a barrel of oil. The tax on a barrel of oil in Alaska is 22.5% and the tax goes up by 0.2% per dollar over $52.00 a barrel. So at $100 a barrel that is a 9.6% extra tax per barrel, hardly the profit killingÂ windfall profits tax that Hillary and Obama have supported.]
9. AFGHANISTAN / GEN. MCKIERNAN COMMENTS: Biden said that top military commander in Iraq said the principles of the surge could not be applied to Afghanistan, but the commander of NATOâ€™s International Security Assistance Force Gen. David D. McKiernan said that there were principles of the surge strategy, including working with tribes, that could be applied in Afghanistan.
[True – This was media spin from a San-Francisco paper. The General said he wanted more troops but wanted an implementation that was slightly different than the Iraq-Surge plan, so I guess you could call it the Afghan surge planÂ – LINK ]
10. REGULATION: Biden falsely said McCain weakened regulation â€” he actually called for more regulation on Fannie and Freddie.
[ The law that Obama claims did this, was passed 90-8 by the Senate and Biden voted for it.]
The truth is, however, the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act had little if anything to do with the current crisis. In fact, economists on both sides of the political spectrum have suggested that the act has probably made the crisis less severe than it might otherwise have been.]
11. IRAQ: When Joe Biden lied when he said that John McCain was â€œdead wrong on Iraqâ€, because Joe Biden shared the same vote to authorize the war and differed on the surge strategy where they John McCain has been proven right. [Everyone knows this, when McCain first started asking for the surge many Republicans and Donald Rumsfeld opposed McCain, so McCain demanded that Rumsfeld resign. McCain was proved correct.]
12. TAX INCREASES: Biden said Americans earning less than $250,000 wouldnâ€™t see higher taxes, but the Obama-Biden tax plan would raise taxes on individuals making $200,000 or more.
[Democrats have no credibility when it comes to tax cuts, they talk about them in the campaign but when the bills show up in Congress almost everyone who pays federal incomeÂ taxes ends up paying a higher rate. Just examining the attempts to raise taxes or repeal tax cuts over recent years, former Hillary supporter Donald Trump is right when he says that Democrats "taxing the rich" end up hitting lots of other people too. Al Gore’s middle class tax cut was so targeted that almost no one qualified for it and Bill Clinton’s middle class tax cut in 1993 was the largest tax increase in US history at the time and did not cut middle class taxes.
Obama called for a doubling of the Capital Gains Tax admitting that he knew it would lower government revenue when called on it in a primary debate saying that he was more interested in "fairness" instead of revenue. Capital Gains Tax directly affects the housing market.
Democrats also refuse to acknowledge the increases in government revenue that are often a result of tax rate decreases in spite of the fact that they are well documented.]
13. BAILOUT: Biden said the economic rescue legislation matches the four principles that Obama laid out, but in reality it doesnâ€™t meet two of the four principles that Obama outlined on Sept. 19, which were that it include an emergency economic stimulus package, and that it be part of â€œpart of a globally coordinated effort with our partners in the G-20.â€ [Having looked at the legislation myself I am calling this as true]
14. REAGAN TAX RATES: Biden is wrong in saying that under Obama, Americans wonâ€™t pay any more in taxes then they did under Reagan. [True – and laughable. The top marginal tax rate under Reagan was 28%. The top rate is higher than that NOW, so how can the rate be the same as Reagan when for some groups the rate will go up? Ridiculous!]
An Analysis by Karl Rove:
[tags]barack obama, joe biden, sarah palin, debate, taxes, regulation, iraq, oil, alternative energy, health insurance, offshore drilling, troop funding, tax vote,ahmedinijad[/tags]